Thursday, July 21, 2011

Inernet Kill Switch Engaged

During Mondays class the idea of an Internet kill switch came up as a topic. I have never heard of the idea of such of a think or the situation in Egypt were all the Internet was shut down and it got people in a uproar that there government would do that that there were protesters and I'm pretty sure they were furious. One has to think how important the Internet is in everyday life. We use it for our business, to communicate, operate things. My Internet had went out Monday and I didn't get online til Tuesday night thanks to a friend who helped fix my computer. Anyway I was going crazy trying to get it working because I rely on the Internet to do my homework, research, and read the news I was super stressed out and I can imagine how more pissed off people in Egypt were.

In the article the idea of the Kill Switch would give the president power to shut down the Internet if it were breached. "Declaration of a national cyber emergency". I'm caught in between the middle that I don't know if it would be a good thing or bad thing. The good thing would be if there was a terrorist cyber attack like in the movie Die Hard (don't remember which one) were the terrorist had entire control of the airport and communication and the good guys were helpless as they watched the terrorist caused a plane to crash. I didn't think an cyber attack would be real that something similar could happen to the U.S. for example having control of banks, power plants, Hoover Dam. So if the president had the power to stop it before anyone would get hurt I would say go for the bill. However on the other hand with that much power there could be abuse even though we hope for the best intention who isn't to say the situation in Egypt wont happen again on American soil. The government already has a lot of power over us as seen in big brother big corporation video now we would give up our right of the Internet to the government that's a tough choice. http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20029282-281.html

No comments:

Post a Comment