Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The One Social Network to Rule them all!!

1. how is Facebook and Google+ different or the same? 

I just finished reading an interesting article about Google + feature that seems similar to Facebook but is different at the same time it is "Circles". Oh course Facebook has a feature similar that you can put your family tree, best friends, co-workers, etc. However with Google + you can put your friends in one circle, your family in another, people you met at parties and they are not aware of it or can see it. The cool feature is you can post photos in these circles just for those particular people such as family trip photos, or school event or if you were being a party animal you can put it in the party circle were only they can see and no one else maybe that's a good thing if you don't want your family or boss to know a crazy lifestyle.  http://www.alligator.org/the_avenue/features/article_620a59a4-a2c0-11e0-b3fd-001cc4c002e0.html


2. How many users does Facebook have? Why so many? Why did Facebook overtake MySpace?

According to Facebook statistics there are more than 750 million active users,  that 50% of  active users log on to Facebook in any given day. I think its so many because its an easy to use social network its neat and clean and you are the captain of your ship which I mean you can control what you want people to see and not see. Being honest Facebook is way better than myspace because when I used myspace it was messy and I remember having to add wallpapers, that all my information and links were put in the same page it was very cluttered unlike Facebook it has an information page, wall (where you can post your status/thoughts. In addition Myspace seems more for teenagers and Facebook seems for adults.
http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

3. Do you think Google+ or any other social media will overtake Facebook?

I don't think right now there will be a social network to overthrow Facebook because of how big it is and how many people use it. Google + is starting out right now and even though it is a top dog in other fields owning youtube, awesome search engine, and great features that make life easier it better come up with an idea that will blow Facebook out of the water that would revolutionize the social networks. However it is also good competition for Facebook that maybe they would improve themselves to be better.


4. Why do you feel there is such an obsession with Facebook? Do you think this obsession is warranted?

I think Facebook is so addicting because you can know what your friends are doing by what they type or reconnect with them with a poke. In addition you can comment yourself of what your doing and have friends put there responds as well like "where should I go to eat for lunch?" and they can put there opinion. I think because we live in the age of the technology we don't communicate on the phone anymore if we make plans we can text or set up a party event on our facebook and have conformation of who's going or not. I don't know if the obsession can be warranted because all obsession is bad and one thing shouldn't consume your life however I personally find it convenient because I can be outgoing though the Internet because I'm not in person and since no one can see me I feel very confident when I type and I think a lot of people feel the same way. In that case I try to limit myself of Facebook use until something ticks me off like wrestling and I can discuss with people what they think as well.

5. What was your perspective of the film overall?

I always heard how good the movie was from critics and people but I always dragged my feet to see it since I heard it was a long movie and for a long time I was anti-social network. Anyway I thought the film was really interesting how smart the young man could come up with such a good idea. However I think even though he was so smart he still made some bad choices like screwing his best friend over and believing that the Napster guy was so brilliant that he overlooked his faults and criminal activities that when he actually got in trouble reality sunk in that he wasn't as wonderful as he thought. I did like a comment that a student made in class that she was impressed that for the facebook guy to be very socially awkward that he had a good idea and was able to become successful. I like that statement because I'm very shy and get nervous talking in front of groups that it gives me hope that though technology maybe I could come up with something that will be successful that it will overlook my shyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment